Monday, January 16, 2012

International Q codes for Amateur Radio Operation

Q Codes are groups of three letters starting with the letter Q. It is also called as the brevity code as it is a brief code for a long sentence. By using Q codes, long sentences can be avoided especially while working on CW mode. It was initially developed for commercial radiotelegraph communication, and later adopted by  amateur radio. Although Q codes were created when Morse code was used, they continued to be employed after the introduction of voice transmissions. When a Q code is followed by a question mark, it is considered as a question and without it is a statement.


Q-code      Question                                    Information
QRA : What is the name of your station ?  The name of my station is... 
QRB : How far approximately are you from my station ?  The approximate distance between our stations is........nautical miles (or.... kilometers)
QRD : Where are you bound and where are you from ?  I am bound for ... from ...
QRG : Will you tell me my exact frequency (or that of ...) ?  Your exact frequency (or that of ...) is ...Khz (or Mhz)
QRH : Does my frequency vary ?  Your frequency varies.
QRI : How is the tone of my transmission ?  The tone of your transmission is ... 1 = good. 2 = variable. 3 = bad
QRJ : How many voice contacts do you want to make?  I want to make ... voice contacts.
QRK : What is the readability of my signals (or that of...) ?  The readability of your signals (or that of...) is..... 1 = unreadable. 2 = readable now and then. 3 = readable but with difficulty. 4 = readable. 5 = perfectly readable.
QRL : Are you busy ?  I am busy (or I am busy with ...)
QRM : Are you being interfered with ?  I am being interfered with. 1 = nil. 2 = slightly. 3 = moderately. 4 = severely : 5 = extremely.
QRN : Are you troubled by static ?  I am troubled by static 1 = nil. 2 = slightly. 3 = moderately. 4 = severely. 5 = extremely.
QRO : Shall I increase transmitter power ?  Increase transmitter power.
QRP : Shall I decrease transmitter power ?  Decrease transmitter power.
QRQ : Shall I send faster ?  Send faster (or ... words per minute).
QRR : Are you ready for automatic operation ?  I am ready for automatic operation. (send at  ... words per minute).
QRS : Shall I send more slowly ?  Send more slowly (or ... words per minute).
QRT : Shall I stop sending ?  Stop sending.
QRU : Have you anything for me ? I have nothing for you.
QRV : Are you ready ?  I am ready.
QRW : Shall I inform...that you are calling him on...khz (or...Mhz)?.  Please inform...that I am calling him on...khz(or...Mhz)
QRX : When will you call me again ?  I will call you again at...hours (on ...khz (or ...Mhz)).
QRZ : Who is calling me ?  You are being called by...(on ...khz (or ...Mhz)).
QSA : What is the strength of my signals ?  The strength of your signals (or those of ...) is... 1 = scarcely perceptible. 2 = weak. 3 = fairly good. 4 = good. 5 = very good.
QSB : Are my signals fading ?  Your signals are fading.
QSD : Is my keying defective ?  Your keying is defective.
QSG : Shall I send... telegrams at a time ?   Send telegrams at a time.
QSK : Can you hear me between your signals and if so can I break in on your transmission ?  I can hear you between my signals;break in on my transmission.
QSL : Can you acknowledge receipt ?  I am acknowledging receipt.
QSM : Shall I repeat the last telegram which I send you or some previous telegram?  Repeat the last telegram which you sent me or telegram(s) number(s)
QSN : Did you hear me or ... (callsign on ...khz (or ...Mhz)) ?  I did hear you or ... (callsign on ...khz (or ...Mhz)).
QSO : Can you communicate with... (directly or by relay) ?  I can communicate with... (directly or by relay through...).
QSP : Will you relay to...?  I will relay to...
QSR : Do you want me to repeat my call?  Please repeat your call; I did not hear you.
QSS : What working frequency will you use?  I will use the working frequency ... kHz (or MHz). 
QST : Is there any message for radio-hams ?  Here is a broadcast message to all amateurs.
QSU : Shall I send or reply on this frequency ( or on ...khz (or ...Mhz))?  Send or reply on this frequency ? (on ...khz (or ...Mhz)).
QSV : Shall I send a series of V's on this frequency ( or on ...khz (or ...Mhz))?  Send a series of V's on this frequency ( or on ...khz (or ...Mhz)).
QSW : Will you send on this frequency ( or on ...khz (or ...Mhz))?  I am going to send on this frequency ( or on ...khz (or ...Mhz)).
QSX : Will you listen to...(call signs) on ...khz (or Mhz) ?  I am listening to ...(call signs) on ...khz (or Mhz).
QSY : Shall I transmit on another frequency (or on ...khz (or ...Mhz)) ?  Transmit on another frequency. (or on ...khz (or ...Mhz)).
QSZ : Shall I send each word or group more than once?  Send each word or group twice (or ... times).
QTA : Shall I cancel telegram (message) No. ... as if it had not been sent?  Cancel telegram (message) No. ... as if it had not been sent. 
QTC : How many telegrams (messages) have you for me ?  I have... telegrams(messages) for you.
QTH : What is your position in latitude and longitude (or according to any other indication)?  My position is... (latitude...longitude).
QTR : What is the correct time (in UTC) ?  The correct time is...(in UTC).
QTU : At what times are you operating?  I am operating from ... to ... hours. 
QTV : Shall I stand in guard for you on the frequency of ...khz (or ...Mhz) ?  Stand guard for me on the frequency of ...khz (or ...Mhz).
QTX : Will you keep your station open for further communication with me until further notice (or until ... hours)?  I will keep my station open for further communication with you until further notice (or until ... hours).
QUA : Have you news of (callsign) ?  Here is news of (callsign).
QUC : What is the number (or other indication) of the last message you received from me (or from ... (call sign))?  The number (or other indication) of the last message I received from you (or from ... (call sign)) is ...
QUD : Have you received the urgency signal sent by ... (call sign of mobile station)?  I have received the urgency signal sent by ... (call sign of mobile station) at ... hours.
QUE : Can you speak in ... (language), - with interpreter if necessary; if so, on what frequencies?  I can speak in ... (language) on ... kHz (or MHz). 
QUF : Have you received the distress signal sent by ... (callsign of mobile station) ?  I have received the distress signal sent by ... (callsign of mobile station) at ... hours.
QUM : Is the distress traffic over ?  The distress traffic is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment